We’ve just released Vehicles Build 22 into the vehicles Steam beta (details for accessing found here), details of which can be found below.
We are also currently working on a final patch for our public version 38 of the main build (much of which is also in the new vehicles build) which we’ll release once we’re sure everything is operating and stable. At this point we’ll also release on GOG, as we’ll know save games will be safe.
Blindcoder, Zomboid friend and champion to all, has also updated the official PZ map with Riverside, the Knox Heights Country Club and its surrounding roads and wilderness.
So if you want to check it out, and maybe find some new places to explore and hold out, you’ll find it right here. Also, if you have any new favourite places to call home in the new map then why not share your location in this thread?
Vehicles Build 22
First off, due to the sheer amount of stuff in Vehicles Build 22 there is a chance that existing Vehicles build saves will break. We’d encourage you to start a new game, but if you have a longstanding character then we have also provided the previous Vehicles Build 21 on a separate Steam beta branch so you can continue your game without issues. It can be accessed through the beta tab and is called ‘previousvehicle’.
Please note that the new Vehicles Build 22 release is more WIP than others that we’ve released, as we need player feedback during its construction. Please be patient if you discover unexpected irritation.
Full patch notes and release thread here. Please note that amidst the bug fixes is, hopefully, a remedy for non-synced car loot and associated co-op issues.
- New cars models including a Taxi and an SUV – and extra versions of small and modern cars. Or at least ‘modern’ for 1993.
- Horn and Siren system. Check the vehicle menu while inside the car. Press “V” (vehicle menu key) or right click on a vehicle to add or siphon gas. Cars can be refuelled at gas stations.
- Keys are now needed to open trunk.
- The game now spawns cars coloured by game code rather than textures – adding variety.
- The Normal Car model can now have damage textures. When we have tested them out in-game we will create them for all vehicles.
A new Vehicle Mechanics UI can now be accessed. Right click a vehicle and select “[WIP] Mechanics” or when directly inside the vehicle with the vehicle menu (“V” key). The system should operate much like the existing player health panel.
- Select vehicle parts to see information about them.
- Right click a part to see if it can be removed or installed.
- Parts can be repaired from your inventory although not everything can be fixed.
- Different car parts like tires, gas tanks, trunk and brake systems.
- Low condition brakes will reduce your brake force.
- Low condition gas tanks can leak fuel.
- A car trunk that’s been crumpled in a collision will have reduced capacity and may drop items stored in it onto the ground when in motion.
- Car parts and vehicles themselves are categorised as ‘standard’, ‘heavy-duty’ and ‘sports’. Only matching car parts can be used in relevant vehicles. [This may change in later builds should player have high skills, be prepared to lose condition with a car part in an inappropriate vehicle etc]
- New Sandbox options: CarDamageOnImpact: Governs how much damage a vehicle will take after collisions. CarGeneralCondition: Governs what condition cars can have on spawn – whether very low or very high.
PLEASE NOTE: this is an early iteration of this system. Not everything affects gameplay. The vehicle diagram is placeholder. Scripting is currently unfinished. The Mechanic skill/profession isn’t done – so highest level abilities are unlocked. Contents may have settled during shipping etc
Today’s featured image from DadAhead on Steamsies. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right here! Our Discord is open for chat and hijinks too.