Hello all! Super quick Thursdoid this week as we’re on day 1 after the IWBUMs of build 41 yesterday. Just didn’t want to break the unbroken chain of Thursdoids/Mondoids we’ve had over the years!
Feedback so far has been better than we could have hoped for. After a year of serious full-team development, it became hard to see the forest for the trees and judge how it would go down. We’re extremely happy to see people respond so positively. The main criticism/concern we see repeatedly brought up is related to the extra weight to movement and turning.
We are looking to tighten this up a little more in future patches, but also after seeing our internal tester’s experience in adjusting to the weightier movement, we want to give people time to adjust so we don’t overfix something that just needs a bit of acclimatisation after years of playing without it, as the weight does add a lot to the game and visuals and we don’t want to tighten it too much as to jeopardise that.
Regarding difficulty, which has also met with a few concerns amongst the appreciation, we’re steadfast on our commitment to keeping Survivor ridiculously hard, though we’ll try and tighten stuff up further and work to avoid cheap or unfair deaths that come from that difficulty. We will also expand and balance the Brawler and Builder modes, as well as potentially add additional ways to provide different play-styles and difficulty preferences to make sure everyone has a way to play the way they want to.
We’ve also just pushed a little patch that should resolve some of the issues people have reported. We’ve not licked all of them yet, but have sorted out a good few of the day 1 problems and have some ‘possible fixes’ we won’t know until its out there. Changelist as follows:
– Rebuilt jassimp64.dll with statically-linked c++ library (removes dependency on msvcp140.dll).
– Fixed exception in MouseState with 2-button mouse.
– Fixed lua error with climb-through-window context-menu command.
– Fixed solidtrans objects next to windowframes-without-windows being solid.
– Removed 3D-models and 3D-corpses options to fix invisible zombie bodies.
– Removed AutoZombieManager.java which adjusted the number of 3D models
based on performance.
– Fixed exception with “New Roof-Hiding” = No option that causes black screen outside.
– Fixed “welcome to build 41” being off-center.
– Possibly fixed rainbow-colored bodies on Mac OS.
– Possibly fixed failure to load bob/bob_idle animation on Windows using the Turkish (and potentially other) locales.
This week’s image from MrSopal on reddit. A general list of stuff added to PZ, and vids of features being worked on, is kept here – so you don’t have to plough through endless dev blogs for info. The Centralized Block of Italicised Text would like to direct your attention to the PZ Wiki should you feel like editing or amending something, and the PZ Mailing List that can send blogs like this and patch notes direct to your mailbox. We also live on Twitter right here! Our Discord is open for chat and hijinks too!